India has dismissed reports of China using microwave weapons in eastern Ladakh on August 29, as claimed by a Chinese professor. The Indian Army on Tuesday (November 17) said the news was “fake”.
“Media articles on employment of microwave weapons in Eastern Ladakh are baseless. The news is FAKE,” the Indian Army tweeted.
“The claims cited by these media reports are fake. No such incident has taken place in Ladakh,” the Army said with screenshots of two news reports.
“It’s pure and poor psyops from China,” an Indian official told Washington Examiner.
Media articles on employment of microwave weapons in Eastern Ladakh are baseless. The news is FAKE. pic.twitter.com/Lf5AGuiCW0
— ADG PI – INDIAN ARMY (@adgpi) November 17, 2020
“If they got us out of the heights, why is China still asking India to withdraw from these heights?” a source was quoted as saying in the report. “Our soldiers and tanks/equipment still there, and we have not moved down from heights.”
The Chinese professor had said that Chinese troops fired from the bottom of the hills and “turned the mountain tops into a microwave oven”, according to The Times.
Jin Canrong, a professor of international relations at Renmin University in Beijing, told this to students during a lecture.
“We didn’t publicise it because we solved the problem beautifully. They (India) didn’t publicise it either because they lost so miserably,” claimed Jin, according to the report.
“In 15 minutes, those occupying the hilltops all began to vomit. They couldn’t stand up, so they fled. This was how we retook the ground,” he added.
Microwave weapons focus high frequency electromagnetic pulses at targets, causing irritation and pain by heating up any human tissue in its way, reported The Times.
Ranets E High Power Microwave Directed Energy Weapon🇷🇺
The Ranets E is a High Power Microwave (HPM) weapon system intended to produce electrically lethal damage or disruption and dysfunction in opposing airborne systems, be they aircraft or guided munitions in flight. @200_zoka pic.twitter.com/s1zqA2zV6i
— Sukhoi Su-57 Felon 🇷🇺🇮🇳 (@I30mki) November 6, 2019
On June 15, Chinese and Indian troops clashed in Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh. Twenty Indian Army personnel were killed in the clash and the Chinese side too suffered casualties. However, China did not disclose the number but according to an American intelligence report, the number was 35.
India and China are engaged in a standoff at the Line of Actual Control (LAC). Earlier this month, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said India will not allow any power in the world to capture an inch of Indian territory.
“If any power of the world thinks that it will capture Indian territory neither will we allow an inch of our land to be grabbed, nor will we capture an inch of any country’s territory,” he said.
Singh said India wants peaceful resolution of differences. “India has been facing other challenges on its borders. India is a peace-loving country. We believe that differences should not become disputes. We attach importance to the peaceful resolution of differences through dialogue,” he said.
“We are committed to respecting various agreements and protocols that India has entered into for the maintenance of peace and tranquillity on our borders. However, India is determined to protect its sovereignty and territorial integrity in the face of unilateralism and aggression, no matter what the sacrifice,” he added.