Sudan’s army and its rival paramilitary said they will extend a humanitarian ceasefire for a further 72 hours. The decision follows international pressure to allow the safe passage of civilians and aid but the shaky truce has not so far stopped the clashes.
In statements, both sides accused the other of violations. The agreement has de-escalated the fighting in some areas but violence continues to push civilians to flee. Aid groups have also struggled to get badly needed supplies into the country.
The conflict erupted on April 15 between the nation’s army and its paramilitary force and threatens to thrust Sudan into a raging civil war.
Earlier on Sunday, an aircraft carrying eight tons of emergency medical aid landed in Sudan to resupply hospitals devastated by the fighting, according to the International Committee of the Red Cross, which organised the shipment. It arrived as the civilian death toll from the countrywide violence topped 400.
Also read: Operation Kaveri: India brings back another batch of 229 people from Sudan
More than two-thirds of hospitals in areas with active fighting are out of service, a national doctor’s association has said, citing a shortage of medical supplies, health workers, water, and electricity.
The supplies, including anaesthetics, dressings, sutures, and other surgical materials, are enough to treat more than 1,000 people wounded in the conflict, the ICRC said. The aircraft took off earlier in the day from Jordan and safely landed in the city of Port Sudan, it said.
The hope is to get this material to some of the most critically busy hospitals in the capital of Khartoum and other hot spots, said Patrick Youssef, ICRC’s regional director for Africa.
Also read: Sudan situation highly volatile; focus is to ensure safety of Indians: Official
The Sudan Doctor’s Syndicate, which monitors casualties, said on Sunday (April 30) that over the past two weeks, 425 civilians were killed and 2,091 wounded. The Sudanese health ministry on Saturday put the overall death toll, including fighters, at 528, with 4,500 wounded.
Some of the deadliest battles have raged across Khartoum. The fighting pits the army chief, Gen Abdel Fattah Burhan, against Gen Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, the head of a paramilitary group known as the Rapid Support Forces.
The generals, both with powerful foreign backers, were allies in an October 2021 military coup that halted Sudan’s fitful transition to democracy, but they have since turned on each other.
Ordinary Sudanese have been caught in the crossfire. Tens of thousands have fled to neighbouring countries, including Chad and Egypt, while others remain pinned down with dwindling supplies. Thousands of foreigners have been evacuated in airlifts and land convoys.
On Sunday, fighting continued in different parts of the capital where residents hiding in their homes reported hearing artillery fire. There have been lulls in the fighting, but never a fully observed cease-fire, despite repeated attempts by international mediators.
Also read: Sudan: Warring generals agree to 72-hour ceasefire, after fighting kills over 400
Over the weekend, residents reported that shops were reopening and normalcy gradually returning in some areas of Khartoum as the scale of fighting dwindled after yet another shaky truce. But in other areas, terrified residents reported explosions thundering around them and fighters ransacking houses.
Youssef, the ICRC official, said the agency has been in contact with the top command of both sides to ensure that medical assistance could reach hospitals safely.
With this news today, we are really hoping that this becomes part of a steady coordination mechanism to allow other flights to come in, he said. Youssef said more medical aid was ready to be flown into Khartoum pending necessary clearances and security guarantees.
Sudan’s healthcare system is near collapse with dozens of hospitals out of service. Multiple aid agencies have had to suspend operations and evacuated employees.
On Sunday, a US warship also arrived to Port Sudan to evacuate more American citizens, according to footage from the Saudi-owned al-Arabiya TV channel. Most of the estimated 16,000 Americans believed to be in Sudan right now are dual US-Sudanese nationals. The defense department said in a statement on Saturday it was moving naval assets toward Sudan’s coast to support further evacuations.
Meanwhile, Britain has announced that an extra evacuation flight will depart from Port Sudan on Monday, extending what it called the largest evacuation effort of any Western country from Sudan. The government asked British nationals who wish to leave Sudan to travel to the British Evacuation Handling Centre at Port Sudan International Airport before 12.00 Sudan time.
The flight comes after an evacuation operation from Wadi Saeedna near Khartoum, involving 2,122 people on 23 flights.
The UN warned on Sunday that the humanitarian crisis in Sudan was at a breaking point.
The scale and speed of what is unfolding in Sudan is unprecedented, said Martin Griffiths, the UN’s top humanitarian diplomat.
Griffiths said massive looting of aid supplies has hindered efforts to help civilians who are running out of water, food, and other critical items.
(With agency inputs)