The Indian Railway Station Development Corporation (IRSDC), which is redeveloping several railway stations in India to airport-like world-class standards, conducted a pre-bid meeting for the redevelopment project of the Anand Vihar and Bijwasan railway stations, Delhi.
IRSDC conducted the meeting through video conference on April 22, 2020, for a mixed-use development on land parcels on the basis of leasehold rights at Anand Vihar and Bijwasan railway stations.
An IRSDC spokesperson told The Federal that the pre-bidding stage attracted leaders of the real estate industry such as Adani Realty, Larsen and Toubro (L&T), Bharti Realty, Godrej, Eldeco, R Cube, Kalpataru Power Transmission, R Retail Ventures, and a few others.
IRSDC is a special purpose vehicle (SPV) under the Ministry of Railways and has been entrusted with the task of redeveloping railway stations, for providing state-of-the-art passenger facilities.
S.K. Lohia, Managing Director, and CEO, IRSDC, addressed the participating bidders on the investment opportunities, in terms of redeveloping both the stations. The participants were briefed about the projects and the first artist impressions of the redeveloped stations were also shared with them.
According to IRSDC, the redevelopment scope involves utilizing the land for several purposes, including commercial city centre development at the two railway station complexes.
IRSDC also intends to promote non-motorised movement or pedestrian movement while redeveloping the land at the two stations. The vision is to add safe streets with greener areas for the user-friendly development of the stations.
The redevelopment of the two stations has been awarded on engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) mode. Further, IRSDC has issued the request for quotations (RFQs) for commercial development of land at these two railway stations.
The station development will be supported by a user charge model.
Passenger friendly incentives at redeveloped world-class Indian Railway stations:
IRSDC intends to provide a world-class revamp of railway stations with state-of-the-art airport-like facilities. Some of the prominent facilities for passengers at these redeveloped stations are as follows:
- Similar to airports, railway stations will have separate entry and exit points, to ensure unhindered passenger movement
- Railway stations will boast of F&B avenues such as multinational food brands, retail shops, and luxury brand stores
- The stations will be divyang-friendly for the convenience of differently-abled passengers
- Dedicated concourse and circulating areas will be built at stations for passengers waiting to board the train
- The railway stations will have multi-modal integration and will be connected to bus terminals and city metro stations