With just five remaining for the beginning of the month of Ramadan, the Maharashtra government on Saturday (April 18) urged Muslims to offer prayers and break their fasts inside their homes, rather than going to mosques or other public places.
In a statement, the Maharashtra Minority Affairs Minister Nawab Malik said community members should not gather on homes or building terraces or grounds to offer namaz, prayers or for iftar. He asked the community members to follow the instructions strictly.
The lockdown is in place until May 3 across the country and restrictions have been imposed on celebrating festivals and offering prayers at public places by followers of all religions during this period, the government said.
The Union Minority Affairs Ministry had already urged Muslims to not congregate for offering prayers and Iftar during this period.
As the nationwide lockdown entered 25 days, as many as 3,323 confirmed cases of COVID-19 has been reported in Maharashtra, which has also witnessed 201 deaths due to the disease.