COVID-19 lockdown frustrates Nadal; Federer happy with recovery

Even as Rafael Nadal is unhappy with him being unable to train, Roger Federer is happy since he has got enough time to recover from his knee surgery

Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, COVID-19, coronavirus, Lockdown, tennis, Wimbledon, French Open
The men's and women's tours have been halted due to the virus, while Wimbledon was cancelled last month for the first time since World War II and Nadal's favourite Grand Slam the French Open was pushed back to September 20. File Photo: PTI

The Spanish government has extended the country’s state of alarm until May 9 in view of the coronavirus pandemic and world number two Rafael Nadal seems to find no positives in the news.

The tennis maestro expressed his frustration that players remain unable to practise due to the COVID-19 outbreak since the government has kept the entire population confined to their homes except a small number working in specific sectors, leaving Nadal perplexed as to why he can’t train.

“Its true I don’t understand very well because we cannot play tennis when many people are going to work and even more so in our sport, where we keep at a large and safe distance and we play on opposite sides of the court,” Nadal said during an Instagram Live.

Advertisement

Even as Nadal is unhappy with him being unable to train and get back to his routine, looks like the break is keeping Swiss biggie Roger Federer happy since he has got enough time to recover from his knee surgery.

Related news: Djokovic against mandatory COVID-19 vaccination to travel

“But I understand that we are in a very critical situation, that the government is dealing with something unprecedented and I also understand that the last thing they think of is who can train and who cannot train. I understand the situation and obviously there are many things that are not logical but you have to accept the rules,” the Spaniard said.

Nadal treated tennis fans to an Instagram Live in which he spoke to both Roger Federer and Andy Murray about their experiences during lockdown.

The men’s and women’s tours have been halted due to the virus, while Wimbledon was cancelled last month for the first time since World War II and Nadal’s favourite Grand Slam the French Open was pushed back to September 20.

“I am not playing tennis, I do not have a court at home and I miss it a little. I am sticking to my physical routines. From the gym of my academy they were able to bring me some machines when lockdown began so I try to work a little in the morning, a little in the afternoon. It is very important to have both the head and the body focused and it is what I am trying to do at all times,” Nadal said.

Related news: Spit, sweat and handshakes: 3 sports habits COVID-19 could change

Meanwhile, Federer gave an update on his right knee after the 20-time major winner decided to undergo surgery in February.

“I’ve been hitting a bit against a wall, (doing) rehab with the knee. It’s OK, I had a really good first six weeks, then it was a bit slower, now its getting better again but I have plenty of time,” Federer said.

“There is no stress, no rush. If there is anything positive (about being in lockdown) that’s the only thing really. I just want the knee to be good, it doesn’t matter when I return,” he added.

(With inputs from agencies)

Get breaking news and latest updates from India
and around the world on thefederal.com
FOLLOW US: