Sachin Tendulkar said on Friday (April 2) he has been hospitalised on medical advice six days after being tested positive for COVID-19. The cricket icon wished his teammates and cricket fans on the 10th anniversary of India’s second World Cup win.
“Thank you for your wishes and prayers. As a matter of abundant precaution under medical advice, I have been hospitalized. I hope to be back home in a few days. Take care and stay safe everyone. Wishing all Indians & my teammates on the 10th anniversary of our World Cup win,” Sachin tweeted.
It was on April 2, 2011, when MS Dhoni inspired his team to a six-wicket win over Sri Lanka for their second ICC Cricket World Cup at Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. India thus ended their 28-year-old WC drought.
Sachin, who will turn 48 later this month, tested positive for COVID on Saturday (March 27). He said he had developed mild symptoms and that he was in home quarantine. Sachin returned to the pitch in the recently concluded Road Safety World Series, which saw a return of many former world cricket greats.
Four members of the India Legends squad — Tendulkar, Subramaniam Badrinath, Irfan Pathan and Yusuf Pathan said that they had tested COVID positive days after the tournament’s completion.
Mumbai, where Sachin lives, reported a record of 8,646 cases of infection, making it the highest one-day spike since pandemic reached the city early last year. As many as 18 deaths were recorded from the city in the last 24 hours. Maharashtra had 43,183 new cases on Friday, the highest for single-day infections in the last six months.
Maharashtra is driving the second wave of infection, accounting, on some days over the past month, for as much as 65% of India’s daily new case tally.
The new phase of vaccination starting April 1 is critical. If the country is able to contain the spread of the infection in the next 45 days, the economy will continue to make rapid strides towards normalcy.