Parvesh Verma gets second EC ban in a week over ‘Kejriwal terrorist’ remark

Verma had called Kejriwal a "terrorist" over his alleged support to an anti-CAA protest in south Delhi’s Shaheen Bagh.

The Election Commission on Wednesday (February 5) imposed a 24-hour campaign ban on BJP MP Parvesh Verma for his ‘terrorist’ remark against Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.

“The Election Commission is of the considered view that Parvesh Sahib Singh made vitriolic aspersions against Arvind Kejriwal, Chief Minister of Delhi which violate… the Model Code of Conduct…” the poll panel said in a statement.

In a recent interview with a TV channel, Verma had called Kejriwal a ‘terrorist’ over the latter’s support to the agitators at Shaheen Bagh who are protesting against the contentious Citizenship Amendment Act.

Also read | Oppn members walk out of LS to protest against Parvesh Verma

“If the Delhi chief minister stands with the protesters of Shaheen Bagh who are raising slogans of Pakistan zindabad, he can be called a terrorist,” he said.

This is the second in the last one week and the ban came into force at 6 pm on Wednesday.

This means he will not be able to campaign for the February 8 Delhi assembly polls any further. Campaigning ends at 5 pm on Thursday.

Last week the EC banned Verma from campaigning in the Delhi election for 96 hours for Shaheen Bagh remark.

BJP MP Verma said, “if BJP comes to power in Delhi, the protesters at Shaheen Bagh will be cleared within an hour.” Referring to the protesters, he claimed that they will enter your homes and rape your daughters and sisters. ‘

The national capital goes into polls on February 8 and the results will be declared on February 11.

(With inputs from agencies)

Get breaking news and latest updates from India
and around the world on thefederal.com
FOLLOW US: