The Union Ministry of Home Affairs on Friday (May 1) announced the extension of the ongoing countrywide lockdown in view of the coronavirus outbreak by two weeks with effect from May 4.
The statement comes in the backdrop of Prime Minister Narendra Modi holding a meeting with cabinet ministers on Friday to discuss a post-lockdown strategy, including relaxations in travel restrictions, opening public places, and the strict imposition of social distancing protocols.
The Home Ministry on Friday issued new guidelines to regulate different activities during this period, based on risk profiling of the districts falling under the red, orange, and green zones with considerable relaxations in the ones classified orange and green.
Under the new guidelines, a limited number of activities will remain prohibited throughout the country, irrespective of the zone, including air, rail, metro, and inter-state movement by road; running schools and educational institutions; and hotels and restaurants. Places of gatherings to remain shut.
The order states that movement of individuals for all non-essential activities shall remain strictly prohibited between 7 pm and 7 am. Local authorities shall issue orders imposing Section 144 and ensure strict compliance, the order states.
In all zones, those above the age of 65, persons with co-morbidities, pregnant women and children below the age of 10 years, shall stay at home except for meeting essential requirements and for health purposes.
The death toll due to the novel coronavirus rose to 1,152 with 77 fatalities reported since Thursday evening, while the number of cases saw a record jump of 1,755 to go up to 35,365 cases on Friday, according to the Union health ministry.
The number of active COVID-19 cases stood at 25,148 while 9,064 people have recovered, and one patient has migrated, the ministry said.
“Thus, around 25.63 per cent patients have recovered so far,” a Health Ministry official said. The total number of cases includes 111 foreign nationals.