India declares LTTE ‘unlawful,’ SL’s anti-Muslim riots claim first death

Sri Lanka, blasts, ISIS
Nine senior Sri Lankan police officials will face criminal investigations for their failure to act on the intelligence warnings. Representative Purpose only. Photo: PTI

India’s Ministry of Home Affairs released a notification on Tuesday (May 14) calling the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) an unlawful association. The notification states that LTTE cadres sent to Tamil Nadu would “ultimately be utilised by the LTTE for unlawful activities”. It added that activities of pro-LTTE organisations and individuals have come to the notice of the central government despite the ban.

It further stated that the LTTE’s “violent and disruptive” activities pose a threat to, and is detrimental to the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the country, and declared the outfit “unlawful”.

Meanwhile, a Muslim man was slashed to death in Sri Lanka on May 13, police said after imposing a nationwide curfew to contain a violent new backlash against Easter suicide bombings.

The 45-year-old man died shortly after admission to a hospital in Puttalam district during anti-Muslim rioting which began on Sunday (May 12) in the area, a police official told AFP.

Also read: Sri Lanka blocks social media after unrest

“Mobs had attacked him with sharp weapons at his carpentry workshop,” the official said. “This is the first death from the riots.” His death was reported after authorities ordered the entire country placed under a night curfew and police were ordered to use maximum force to deal with troublemakers.

Police will take stern action against rioters and constables have been issued with orders to use maximum force, Police Chief Chandana Wickramaratne warned in a televised address after rampaging mobs set fire to Muslim-owned shops and vehicles.

Homes and mosques were also vandalised by large groups of people armed with sticks and blunt weapons, police said. The unrest was concentrated in three districts north of the capital, but a night curfew was imposed across the country to prevent the spread of violence, police said. The latest rioting came three weeks after a string of suicide bomb attacks against three Christian churches and three luxury hotels, leaving 258 people dead and nearly 500 wounded.