Attorney General KK Venugopal on Thursday (September 17) rejected an application seeking his nod for initiating contempt proceedings against senior journalist Rajdeep Sardesai for his tweets pertaining to the recent Prashant Bhushan case.
According to the top law officer, the statements made by Sardesai, who’s the consulting editor of the India Today Group, were not as serious that it would undermine the majesty of the Supreme Court or lower its stature in the minds of the people.
“The reputation of the SC as one the great pillars of our democracy has been built assiduously over the last 70 years. Trifling remarks and mere passing of criticism though perhaps distasteful are unlikely to tarnish the image of the institution,” Livelaw quoted the AG’s order as saying.
Sharing the news on Twitter, Sardesai said, “Satyamev Jayate!thank you to guardians of the law and constitution!”
Astha Khurnana, who had sought the initiation of a contempt case against Sardesai, had claimed that the news anchor intentionally made defamatory and scandalous statements and willingly disrespected the Supreme Court through a series of tweets.
Breaking: Rs 1 token fine imposed by SC on @pbhushan1 in contempt case.. if he doesn’t pay it, then 3 months jail sentence! Clearly, court looking to wriggle out of an embarrassment of its own making.
— Rajdeep Sardesai (@sardesairajdeep) August 31, 2020
To support her claims, the petitioner pointed out to one of Sardesai’s tweet, dated August 31, where the TV journalist had said, “Clearly, court looking to wriggle out of an embarrassment of its own making,” regarding the ₹1 fine imposed on lawyer-activist Prashant Bhushan in the contempt case.
The petitioner pointed out several such tweets and said that Sardesai tried to spread a feeling of no-confidence on the court among the public.
Last month, the attorney general had rejected a petition seeking contempt proceedings against actor Swara Bhasker for her remarks over the Ayodhya judgment.