At least six Indians have been killed in a string of eight powerful blasts, including suicide attacks, which struck four churches, three luxury hotels frequented by foreigners and a residential area in Sri Lanka on Easter on April 21, officials said on Monday (April 22).
The blasts targeted St Anthony’s Church in Colombo, St Sebastian’s Church in the western coastal town of Negombo and another church in the eastern town of Batticaloa around 8.45 am (local time) as the Easter Sunday mass was in progress.
Three explosions were reported from the five-star hotels — the Shangri-La, the Cinnamon Grand and the Kingsbury. Foreigners and locals who were injured in hotel blasts were admitted to the Colombo General Hospital.
The police on Monday said at least six Indian nationals have been reported to be killed among the foreigners who died in the blasts.
External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj on Monday identified two more individuals killed in the blasts on Sunday.
“We sadly confirm the deaths of the following two individuals in the blasts yesterday, K G Hanumantharayappa and M Rangappa,” Swaraj retweeted the Indian High Commission in Colombo’s tweet.
On Sunday, Swaraj, in a series of tweets, identified the three Indians as Lakshmi, Narayan Chandrashekhar and Ramesh. “Indian High Commission in Colombo has conveyed that National Hospital has informed them about the death of three Indian nationals,” she said in a tweet.
On Sunday, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan identified a Keralite, P S Rasina (58), among those killed in the deadly bomb blasts.
Around 500 people, including Indians, were injured in the blasts – one of the deadliest attacks in the country’s history.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks so far.