Shaheen Bagh which for the past three months had been a prominent face of the protests against the Citizenship Amendment Act across the country, was finally cleared of its protesters by Delhi police on Tuesday (March 24) morning, in view of the coronavirus outbreak.
Police also removed anti-CAA protesters from other parts of the city including Jaffrabad in northeast Delhi and Turkman Gate.
Reports said the police force which reached the site at 7 am forcefully removed protesters after they refused to budge.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (southeast) RP Meena said people at the protest venue in Shaheen Bagh were requested to vacate the site as a lockdown has been imposed due to coronavirus outbreak.
However, when they refused action was taken and they were vacated, he said.
Reports said nine people including six women have been detained.
Delhi is currently under a lockdown and Section 144 has been imposed on its several stretches, prohibiting the congregation of more than four people.
While Delhi police had last week urged the protesters of Shaheen Bagh to call off the agitation in view of the coronavirus situation, the latter had refused, stating that they will continue with it with necessary precautions.
The protests, primarily led by women had begun of December 15, following a nation-wide stir against CAA, NRC and NPR.
With the number of coronavirus cases in the country touching 500, the national capital has reported at least 30 cases including one death.