protest outside Jharkhand Secretariat in Ranchi
x

Candidates appointed through the JSSC-CGL and TDPL-conducted exams gather outside the Jharkhand Secretariat Project Bhawan to protest against the state govt's decision to cancel the recruitment examinations, in Ranchi on Tuesday (August 18). Photo: PTI

Jharkhand JSSC-CGL cancellation puts 2,000 jobs, govt functioning in limbo

Employees appointed through the recruitment process protest termination after Soren govt cancels exam over alleged irregularities; around 1,000 JPSC jobs also face uncertainty


Click the Play button to hear this message in audio format

The Jharkhand government's decision to cancel the JSSC-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination has triggered a crisis in the state administration, affecting the functioning of several departments and offices as over 2,000 employees appointed through the recruitment process now face the risk of losing their jobs.

Many of the successful candidates had already joined government service after December 2025 and were posted across various departments, including Finance, Home, Road Transport, Labour, Information and Public Relations, and other administrative offices.

The sudden announcement late on Monday (August 17) to cancel the JSSC-CGL exam following student protests alleging irregularities in the recruitment left those working in various departments to take to the streets and also stage protests outside the State Secretariat Project Building in Dhurwa.

The development has left several offices uncertain about manpower and the continuation of responsibilities assigned to newly recruited employees.

Affected govt employees protest

The impact was visible in the state capital on Tuesday (August 18) as a large number of affected employees gathered outside the Jharkhand secretariat and other government offices, demanding that the government identify individual wrongdoers instead of cancelling the recruitment process and terminating the services of all successful candidates.

"Tell us our crime. Don't throw us out," said assistant section officer Kaushal Kumar.

Ashish Minz, appointed as a labour enforcement officer in Khunti, said the government's decision had shattered the careers of candidates who had left other jobs after securing the government post.

"Prior to my appointment, I worked as a development officer at LIC from 2019 to 2022, and then at the Food Corporation of India from 2022 till January 2026, before joining here," Minz said.

Also Read: Jharkhand govt cancels JSSC-CGL, TDPL recruitment tests, protesters end hunger strike

He said he had prepared for the examination while working and secured the post through the prescribed selection process.

Prince Priyadarshi, an assistant section officer, said candidates appointed to posts including ASO, circle inspector, block supply officer, block welfare officer, labour enforcement officer, planning assistant, and junior secretariat assistant had joined after court proceedings.

Cabinet’s decision

The government's decision came after the cabinet of Chief Minister Hemant Soren decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL exam and recruitment examinations conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd since 2014.

While any notification or statement is yet to come from the government, calculations point out that besides about 2,000 JSSC-CGL jobs, also at stake are about 1,000 other jobs through JPSC.

Also Read: Jharkhand protesters burn CM Soren, Rahul Gandhi’s effigies as govt calls for fresh talks

The candidates have demanded a CBI probe into the alleged irregularities and say they are ready to face action if found guilty. They contend that the recruitment process had already undergone judicial scrutiny and that many appointments were made after court proceedings.

Govt defends cancellation as necessary

The government, meanwhile, has defended the cancellation as necessary to restore students' confidence in the recruitment system.

Higher and Technical Education Minister Sudivya Kumar said the affected candidates could seek legal recourse, while JMM spokesperson Manoj Pandey acknowledged their anguish and said the party was sympathetic to them.

Also Read: Jharkhand protesters to gherao Hemant Soren’s residence, demand his resignation

CM Soren has announced an examination reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to recommend measures to strengthen the recruitment system besides a probe under a retired High Court judge.

CID probe points to wider irregularities

"Several surprising factors emerged during the probe into exam irregularities by the CID and special investigation team. These cannot be disclosed at this juncture," Soren said, adding that several companies operating in Jharkhand appeared to be involved in a "huge exam racket".

The CID continued raids linked to the alleged irregularities.

"We are conducting raids at the JSSC office in connection with alleged irregularities in various examinations," CID ADG Manoj Kaushik told PTI.

Demand for CBI probe remains

However, the protesters continued to press for a CBI inquiry into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.

Rahul Kranti, who was among the protesters receiving treatment at Sadar Hospital, had said the agitation would continue unless the government accepted the demand for a CBI probe. Another protester, Umme Habiba, said the government's decision to hold fresh talks showed its sensitivity towards the students' concerns.

Student leader Devendra Mahto, who also ended his hunger strike, called for tighter safeguards against paper leaks and irregularities in recruitment examinations.

Also Read: Jharkhand recruitment row: Job aspirants take out Tiranga Yatra in Ranchi

"Every examination must be monitored, every examination must be audited, and there must be a clear certificate for every examination and at every stage. We will continue to struggle for this," he said.

Mahto also welcomed the CID inquiry and thanked Soren, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, the state ministers, fellow students, and others who had supported the agitation.

"Today marks the 16th day of the hunger strike. This struggle began on July 2. Following a meeting with the Chief Minister on July 20, a CID inquiry was initiated on July 28. The investigation is being conducted thoroughly, sparing no one," Mahto said.

The BJP backed the students' demand for a CBI probe. Leader of the Opposition Babulal Marandi questioned why the government should oppose such an inquiry if it had confidence in the recruitment process.

(With agency inputs)

Next Story