MV Lila Norfolk, a cargo ship, which was hijacked near Somalias coast in the Arabian Sea. INS Chennai closely followed the hijacked ship and rescued all 21 crew, including 15 Indians, onboard. PTI Photo
x
The ship's cargo included Turkish weapons destined for a military training facility in Mogadishu. Representative image

22 Indian nationals among crews of two vessels hijacked off Yemen, Somalia

Sixteen Indians were aboard the MT Sibu 1 hijacked in the Gulf of Aden, while six were among the crew of the M/V LUTUF seized off Somalia’s Puntland coast


Two commercial vessels carrying a total of 22 Indian nationals have been hijacked in separate incidents off Yemen and Somalia. Sixteen Indians were aboard the MT Sibu 1, which was hijacked in the Gulf of Aden, while six others were among the crew of the M/V LUTUF, captured off Somalia's Puntland coast.

16 Indians aboard hijacked tanker

The Eritrea-flagged oil products tanker MT Sibu 1 was recently hijacked by six armed pirates in the Gulf of Aden, around 30 nautical miles off Yemen.

All 20 crew members were reported safe, according to a report prepared by the Directorate of Maritime Administration, as reported by the Hindustan Times.

Also Read: Centre advises against deploying Indian sailors through Hormuz amid West Asia crisis

The report further stated that the crew comprised 16 Indian nationals, one Syrian, one Sudanese and one Iraqi national. The nationality of one seafarer had not yet been confirmed.

The Recruitment and Placement Service Licence agency has been asked to submit an incident report and subsequent periodic updates through the e-Navik online marine casualty reporting system, the report said.

Sumit Kant Singh of SKS Krishiv Marine Services said his company had recruited four crew members and provided their details to the Directorate of Maritime Administration.

LUTUF carrying weapons seized off Somalia

Meanwhile, the Cameroon-flagged cargo vessel M/V LUTUF was seized by Somali pirates off Somalia's Puntland coast on Monday (August 17).

According to a Somali official, the vessel was later moved towards Puntland's Nugaal coast. It was carrying weapons from Turkey, along with communications and satellite equipment.

Also Read: Centre summons Iranian envoy after Indian crew member killed in Hormuz tanker attack

The vessel was seized about three and a half nautical miles from Marraya, in Puntland's Eyl district, the official told The Associated Press. He spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to publicly discuss sensitive information.

Six Indians among 10-member crew

The crew consisted of 10 people, including six Indian nationals. The others were one Turkish national, one Georgian and two Serbian security guards.

Eight pirates, believed to be members of a group previously involved in the hijacking of the M/V Sward on April 26, moved the vessel towards the coast near Garmaal in Puntland's Dangoroyo district.

Turkish forces monitor hijacked vessel

Two Turkish-owned vessels later approached the ship, while Turkish helicopters and drones monitored the area, the official said.

On Tuesday (August 18), a small boat carrying two men approached the vessel and delivered khat, a stimulant commonly chewed in Somalia, he said.

Also Read: Tharoor calls US ‘deeply insensitive’ after 3 Indian sailors killed in Gulf strike

After the boat returned to shore, an airstrike followed, killing four men and wounding two others, the official said.

There was no immediate statement from Turkish authorities regarding the reported hijacking.

(With agency inputs)

Next Story