
The development comes after police allegedly refused to register an FIR concerning the reported use of pellet guns against student protesters
Rahul stages sit-in outside police station over alleged refusal to lodge FIR on pellet gun use
Rahul Gandhi joined Sahil Lochab in a sit-in outside a Delhi police station, demanding action over alleged pellet gun use during a July 20 NEET protest.
Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi and Sahil Lohchab, an alleged pellet gun victim, along with Congress workers, staged a sit-in demonstration on Friday (August 21) outside the Parliament Street police station after police allegedly refused to register a complaint concerning the reported use of pellet guns against student protesters during the July 20 NEET demonstration. Later in the day, Priyanka Gandhi also joined the protest. However, after huge drama, the police decided to file an FIR later in the evening.
Complaint over alleged pellet gun use
Congress claimed that Lohchab had visited the police on August 14 with his lawyers and submitted a complaint. Subsequently, on August 17, Lohchab also sent an email to the police enquiring about the status of his complaint and details of the I/O. However, the police refused to share any information, and there was no formal acknowledgement of his complaint either.
Also Read: Rahul presents student injured by pellet gun, calls Pradhan 'criminal education minister'
Congress sources said that Lohchab then reached out to Rahul for help and Rahul agreed to accompany him to the police station on Friday. The Congress alleged that the New Delhi district DCP has, however, refused to share the case number and I/O details with Rahul or the victim even though the case pertains to a cognizable offence for which an FIR has to be registered.
'Won't budge till FIR is lodged'
Speaking to reporters at the police station, Rahul vowed to continue the protest there till the FIR is lodged. He further alleged that police officials have told them that there is an order from the top and hence they could not lodge an FIR.
Rahul pointed out that the Delhi Police have denied using pellet guns during the July 20 protest and said that someone must have used the weapon.
“Delhi Police say they did not fire pellet guns. So, there is just one question: someone must have done it...A crime has indeed happened...We are demanding that an FIR be registered. They told us that they have received order from the top and they cannot file an FIR. We won't budge from here until an FIR is registered," said Rahul as quoted by ANI.
"Pellet gun was used at Connaught Place on 20th July. AIIMS report clearly says that there are more than 200 shells inside his body and 3 in his eye. He has lost vision in that eye. There are shells near his heart that cannot be touched,” he added. Lashing out at Union Home Minister Amit Shah, Rahul said "In this country, Amit Shah's Home Ministry and Delhi Police personnel won't let justice happen."
Delhi Police says compaint accepted: Report
However, according to an India Today report, earlier in the day, Delhi Police said that it has accepted the complaint and assigned an Investigating Officer (IO) for the case, adding that Rahul has also been informed about it.
The report further stated that Delhi Police told Rahul that the Crime Branch is investigating the FIR lodged during the CJP protest.
Rahul slams Amit Shah
“Today, I went to the DCP office at Parliament Street to file an FIR against the police brutality faced by Sahil Lochab. On July 20, the police attacked Sahil, who was peacefully protesting at Jantar Mantar, with a pellet gun. Severely injured by the pellets, Sahil's vision in one eye is now at risk,” stated Rahul in a post on X.
“Neither has Home Minister Amit Shah offered any explanation to the students for this cruelty, nor has the Prime Minister apologized to them. Now, when Sahil wants to file an FIR for justice, even that is not being allowed. In this way, the Constitution and constitutional rights are being trampled upon @AmitShah ji, why are you so scared of justice? This fear shows that you are admitting to your crime,” he added.
The backdrop
Earlier, Rahul had accused Union Home Minister Amit Shah over the police response to student protests in the national capital. He alleged that Shah approved the use of force, including alleged firing of pellet guns, against protesters.
Also Read: RAF identifies personnel linked to alleged pellet gun firing in Delhi protest: Report
"We hold Amit Shah directly responsible for the violence that has taken place against our students. He authorised the shooting of our students. He authorised the use of lethal weapons, including pellet guns, against our students. For us, this is a fundamental issue. We will not accept our own forces shooting at the future of India. This will be a major issue in Parliament," he said.

