Chennai teen dies as parents seek to rid house of termites

Reportedly the parents, Hussain Basha (42) and Aiysha (35) had poured paint thinner on doors and corners of the house to burn the termites eventually

Chennai fire accident
While the couple sustained minor injuries, their daughter Fathima sustained 60 per cent burns and passed away in a few hours

To get rid of the termites that infested the house, a couple accidentally burnt the house, resulting in the death of their 13-year-old daughter.

The gruesome freak incident happened near Pallavaram in Chennai.

The parents, identified as Hussain Basha (42) and Aiysha (35), poured paint thinner on doors and corners of the thatched house and tried to burn out the termites. But the house caught fire and the family of three was trapped in the house.

When they realised the situation was getting out of control, they cried for help. Neighbours  then broke open the door and pulled out the three family members. The fire was then put out by two fire tenders.

Advertisement



Also Read: Mumbai witnesses three major fire accidents in a week

As per the police, the family that lived in Quaid-e-Millath Nagar at Anakaputhur near Pallavaram were frequently faced with termite attacks. Earlier, while the couple used kerosene to get rid of the mites, this time, Basha, who is a painter, went on to try paint thinner.

The family was then rushed to Government Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital. While the couple sustained minor injuries, their daughter sustained 60 per cent burns and died in a few hours. The couple is currently under treatment at the hospital.

The family’s belongings have been reduced to ashes. A case of accidental fire has been registered in the Shankar Nagar police station and investigation is underway.

CATCH US ON: