Entire nation delighted over SC decision on Rath Yatra: Amit Shah

The home minister said he as well as crores of devotees across India were happy that the Prime Minister "not only understood the sentiment of the devotees but also initiated consultations"

Jagannath Rath Yatra, Amit Shah, Odisha, Supreme Court, coronavirus, COVID-19
After the Supreme Court on Thursday stayed the annual Rath Yatra, the state government had been facing tremendous pressure from different quarters to intervene in the matter. File Photo: PTI

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday (June 22) said the entire country is delighted over the Supreme Court’s decision on Jagannath Rath Yatra in Puri and stressed that Prime Minister Narendra Modi took the initiative for consultations which ensured that the “great traditions of our land are observed”.

In a series of tweets, Shah said that last evening, as per the instructions of the prime minister, “he spoke to Gajapati Maharaj (The King of Puri) and the respected Shankaracharya of Puri and sought their views on the Rath Yatra”.

Shah said this morning, on the prime minister’s instructions, he spoke to the Solicitor General.

Advertisement

“Today is a special day for all of us, particularly our Odia sisters and brothers as well as devotees of Mahaprabhu Shri Jagannath Ji. The entire nation is delighted by the decision of the Honourable Supreme Court to ensure the Rath Yatra goes on,” he said.

The home minister said he as well as crores of devotees across India were happy that the Prime Minister “not only understood the sentiment of the devotees but also initiated consultations which ensured that the great traditions of the country are observed”.

Related news: SC green lights Rath Yatra; chariots to roll on Puri’s Grand Road tomorrow

“Considering the urgency and importance of the matter, it was placed in front of a vacation bench of the Supreme Court and the hearing took place this afternoon, which paved the way for the important decision by the SC. Congratulations to the people of Odisha,” he said.

The Supreme Court on Monday indicated it would allow Puri’s Rath Yatra, scheduled to start from June 23, saying it cannot “micro-manage” the rituals and left it to the wisdom of state, the Centre and temple management to deal with that issue.

The apex court had on June 18 said that in the interest of public health and safety of citizens, this years Puri Rath Yatra cannot be allowed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and that “Lord Jagannath wont forgive us if we allow” it.

A bench headed by Chief Justice S A Bobde was informed informed by the Centre that Rath Yatra can be conducted without compromising on citizens health and with co-operation of state and temple trust.

The top court said it is considering the issue of conducting Rath Yatra in Puri only and not at other places in Odisha.

The Odisha government on Sunday (June 21) said it will take “favourable action” as legally permissible on a request by Gajapati Maharaja Dibyasingha Deb that Lord Jagannath’s Rath Yatra, which was stayed by the Supreme Court this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, be allowed sans congregation of devotees.

After the Supreme Court on Thursday stayed the annual Rath Yatra, the state government had been facing tremendous pressure from different quarters to intervene in the matter.

“The State Government will take favourable action as legally permissible on the request of the Gajapati Maharaj when the writ petition W.P.(C) No. 571 of 2020 is taken up for hearing before the Honble Supreme Court,” Odisha law department said in a statement.

Related news: COVID-19 clouds over Jagannath’s Rath Yatra

The government’s response came a day after Gajapati Maharaja Deb requested it to move a fresh application before the Supreme Court seeking modification of its June 18 order.

The titular king of Puri had also requested the state government to request the court to allow the yatra sans any devotees and only in Puri as the festival is “sanctioned and mandated” according to the religious scriptures and legal provisions.

More than a dozen petitions have been moved before the Supreme Court seeking recall of its order staying the historic Lord Jagannath Rath Yatra, which was scheduled for June 23.

Some petitioners have prayed to the Supreme Court that the yatra be allowed to take place and the three chariots maybe pulled by the servitors of Jagannath temple and police officials in Puri by adhering to the social distancing norms, according to the law department.

The state government said its stand in the hearing before the Supreme Court on June 18 was primarily related to thousands of ratha yatra’s taking place all over Odisha, it said.

These involve lakhs of people, and happen almost in every gram panchayat, it added.

The government said, “More than 5 lakh people of Odisha have returned to the state since May. Most of them are likely to complete their quarantine period by the end of June. This along with the onset of monsoon has made the COVID pandemic likely to peak in the State in June and July.”

Related news: SC stays Puri’s historic Rath Yatra due to COVID-19 pandemic

The pandemic has killed lakhs of people across the globe and so far Odisha has handled it in an efficient manner with lowest mortality rate in the country, it said.

“Any congregation during the probable peaking period can lead to loss of lives and serious public health hazard,” it added.

The Odisha government said the apex court, on June 18, after hearing all the parties including the three intervenors, passed an order in the interest of public health and safety of citizens who are also devotees, restraining the state government from holding the Rath Yatra this year.

“In the meanwhile, the Gajapati Maharaj of Puri who is also the Chairman of the Sri Jagannath Temple Managing Committee, has written a letter dated 20th June, 2020 to the State Government, inter alia requesting that the Rath Yatra in Puri may be held without any congregation of general public and with the State Government taking appropriate steps to prevent spread of COVID-19,” it said.

Similar views were also submitted by the intervenors in the Supreme Court during the hearing on June 18, it said.

(With inputs from agencies)

Get breaking news and latest updates from India
and around the world on thefederal.com
FOLLOW US: