The Supreme Court on Tuesday (July 28) asked the Centre find out if the administration in Jammu and Kashmir has sent any communication to the Ministry of Home Affairs to restore 4G mobile internet connection in the valley, reported Hindustan Times.
A three-judge bench headed by NV Ramana posted the next hearing for August 7.
The Jammu and Kashmir administration has asked for time to reply to the petitioner’s affidavit.
The court gave the direction while hearing an affidavit filed by Foundation for Media Professionals, an NGO in response to the Centre’s reply on the petition.
The petitioner had claimed that the Centre has not reviewed the 4G restrictions as no order has been placed in the public domain.
Last week, the Centre through an affidavit informed the Supreme Court that it cannot restore 4G services at present and had left the decision to the administration of the Union Territory. The Centre told the apex court that a special committee set up to study the demands for 4G internet services following the court’s order on May 11 had met twice on May 15 and June 10 and made the decision not to bring any further relaxation of restrictions on internet services in the valley.
Foundation for Media Professionals, however, argued that the Centre has committed contempt of court as no such order has been published in the public domain.
A day later, the Jammu and Kashmir administration had told the Union Ministry of Home Affairs that it did not have any problem with the restoration of 4G internet services.
Communications was disrupted and a lockdown imposed in Jammu and Kashmir in August last year when the Centre abrogated Article 370 and divided the state into two union territories.