Sushant death: Knew the reality, says Mumbai top cop after AIIMS report

The post-mortem was conducted professionally, and SC found no fault with our confidential report, says police commissioner

On the morning of June 14, Sushant Singh Rajput was found dead at his Mumbai residence. Illustration: Immaya Bharathi

The Mumbai police have said their findings on Sushant Singh Rajput’s death being a suicide had been reaffirmed by the AIIMS medical board.

The AIIMS’ report last week to the Central Bureau of Investigation concluded that the actor’s death was not murder. “We always knew what the reality was,” Mumbai Police Commissioner Param Bir Singh told a news channel.

It was reported last week that the AIIMS’ report pointed that there was no evidence the 34-year-old actor was murdered. That ruled out theories of poisoning and strangling floated by his family and their lawyer.

Rajput was found dead on June 14 in his Mumbai apartment. The Mumbai police, based on the autopsy, had been investigating it as a suicide. But allegations from Sushant Singh Rajput’s family and speculation on social media and channels raised questions that became a part of a CBI probe.

SSR’s family lawyer Vikas Singh had accused the Mumbai police of ignoring vital clues that pointed at foul play and also of botching up the crime scene and the viscera report.

“We have always maintained that ours was a professional investigation. The post-mortem was conducted professionally. When the Supreme Court asked us to submit our report, we had. The court had found no fault when it received our confidential report,” Param Vir Singh said.

Related news: Sushant committed suicide, wasn’t murdered: AIIMS panel informs CBI

“We found out from news channels that it was a unanimous finding that it was suicide and not murder. The truth always prevails. It has an ugly way of coming out.”

The Mumbai police chief said the police worked with integrity and “we were never stressed about our investigation.”

On why no abetment to suicide case was pursued by the Mumbai police, Singh said the investigation was handed to the CBI before it could get to the stage. “We were investigating an accidental death report, which we stopped as soon as the CBI took over. We did not want our investigation to clash with that of another professional agency,” said the Mumbai Police Commissioner.

Get breaking news and latest updates from India
and around the world on thefederal.com
FOLLOW US: