The Delhi High Court has declined to stay at this stage the telecast of a programme by Sudarshan TV allegedly on how Muslims are “infiltrating” the civil services, dubbed as ‘UPSC Jihad’ by editor-in-chief Suresh Chavhanke.
The show is scheduled to be telecast at 8 pm today (September 11). The court had earlier stayed its broadcast on August 28 following a petition by Jamia Millia Islamia students. The IPS Association had also condemned it, terming it as “irresponsible piece of journalism”.
According to the promo of the ‘Bindas Bol’ show hosted by Mr. Chavhanke, it’s about a “big expose on conspiracy to infiltrate Muslims in government service.” The promo was shared by Mr. Chavhanke on social media last month.
सत्यमेव जयते -तीसरी बार….
अभी अभी दिल्ली हाई कोर्ट ने भी बिंदास बोल पर पुन: रोक लगाने से मना किया है।
सुप्रीम कोर्ट सहित हिंदुस्थान सरकार ने पहले ही रोक लगाने से मना किया था। इसके बावजूद जामिया के तथाकथित विद्यार्थी आज पुन: दिल्ली हाई कोर्ट गए थे।अब #BindasBol 8pm जाऐगा ही। https://t.co/QFmXWPMrd0
— Suresh Chavhanke “Sudarshan News” (@SureshChavhanke) September 11, 2020
Meanwhile, sharing the news on his Twitter account, Mr. Chavhanke said the programme will now be aired at 8 pm.
Justice Navin Chawla also issued notice and sought reply of the Centre and Sudarshan News on a plea challenging the Union broadcast ministry’s nod to the show. The plea sought to set aside the Centre’s September 9 order.
The high court granted time to the ministry, represented through Centre’s standing counsel Anurag Ahluwalia, to file an affidavit in response to the plea and to reassess the legality of the channel’s show. It fixed the next date of hearing on November 18.
Advocate Bijender Singh, who was representing the TV channel, said “there is no stay on the telecast of the programme. The court declined it.”
The petition by Syed Mujtaba Athar and Ritesh Siraj sought urgent hearing seeking a direction prohibiting the broadcast of the show titled ‘Bindas Bol’ till the time the government decides on the legality of the show.
The plea claimed the proposed show is full of hate speech and defamation against the petitioners and if the current petition is not adjudicated prior to its broadcast, irreparable harm will be caused to them and the plea will also become infructuous.
The plea said the ministry has refrained from exercising its powers under the Cable TV Act to prohibit the proposed show.
The plea claimed that the ministry passed a non-speaking order, which is quoted as, “Having regard to the aforementioned facts and circumstances of the case, Sudarshan TV channel is hereby directed to ensure that the programme proposed to be telecast does not violate any of the programme codes. If any violation of the programme code is found, action as per law will be taken.”
The petition also sought direction to the channel and its editor to not broadcast their show on the topic of entry of Muslims and Jamia alumni into civil services and its promo till the ministry decides if the broadcast of the show needs to be prohibited under the cable TV Act and other laws.
The high court on August 28 stayed the telecast of the programme which was scheduled the same evening. On August 29, it disposed of the plea with a direction to the ministry to take a decision on the prohibition of the proposed show pursuant to its August 28 show-cause notice.
The high court had also directed the channel and its editor to not broadcast the proposed show till such time the ministry takes the decision.
(With inputs from agencies)