The Supreme Court on Thursday (July 30) dismissed a plea seeking transfer of the probe into Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s death case from the Mumbai police to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
A bench comprising Chief Justice S A Bobde and Justices A S Bopanna and V Ramasubramanian said the Mumbai police should be allowed to do the job and if there is something, then a plea must be filed before the Bombay High Court. “Go to Bombay High Court if you have anything concrete to show,” the bench said when the counsel for PIL petitioner Alka Priya sought the CBI probe into the death of the actor.
According to Hindustan Times, Priya had claimed in her petition that Rajput was a good person, adding that the actor had sponsored several children to NASA.
The bench replied that it did not know whether the person was good or bad and stated that the matter was being investigated by Mumbai Police. “We are not on whether the person was good or bad. The matter is being investigated by Mumbai Police. We are dismissing it,” Hindustan Times quoted the bench as saying.
BSP President Mayawati too said on Thursday that the Sushant Singh Rajput death case was getting “murkier” by the day, and favoured a CBI probe into the matter to ensure justice for the bereaved family.
“The case of death of a young actor of Bihar origin Sushant Singh Rajput is getting murkier following new facts emerging every day and his father filing an FIR with Patna police. Now it would be better if the case was investigated by the CBI instead of Maharashtra and Bihar police,” the BSP leader said in a tweet.
2. साथ ही, सुशान्त राजपूत प्रकरण में महाराष्ट्र व बिहार के काग्रेंसी नेताओं के अलग-अलग रवैये से ऐसे लगता है कि इनका असल मकसद इस प्रकारण की आड़ में पहले अपने राजनीतिक स्वार्थ की पूर्ति करना है तथा पीड़ित परिवार को न्याय दिलाना बाद में, जो कतई उचित नहीं। महाराष्ट्र सरकार गंभीर हो।
— Mayawati (@Mayawati) July 30, 2020
Mayawati added that the Maharashtra government should be serious about conducting the probe in the case. She said, “Because of the different stance taken by Congress leaders of Maharashtra and Bihar in the Sushant Rajput incident, it seems that their real purpose is to first fulfil their political interests… Maharashtra government should be serious.”
Sushant Singh Rajput, aged 34, was found dead in his apartment in suburban Bandra in Mumbai on June 14, and since then, the Mumbai police has been probing the case keeping in mind various angles.
Earlier, Bollywood actress Rhea Chakraborty on Wednesday (July 29) moved the Supreme Court seeking transfer of an FIR from Patna to Mumbai and the stay on the investigation by the Bihar police on the allegations of Sushant Singh Rajput’s father that she abetted the suicide of his son.
He filed a caveat in the Supreme Court on Thursday and sought a hearing before any order was passed on Chakraborty’s plea. “Let nothing be done in the above matter without prior notice to the undersigned,” his father said.
Senior advocate Vikas Singh, who is the family lawyer of Sushant Singh Rajput, said on Wednesday that Chakraborty’s plea in the Supreme Court seeking transfer of an FIR from Patna indicates that “somebody in Mumbai police was helping her”.
A caveat is a type of petition filed to pre-empt any ex-parte order on the plea filed by opposite side.
“At one point of time, my son decided to give up films, settle down in Coorg and pursue farming. He was blackmailed by Chakraborty, who threatened him that she would make his medical history public and let the world know that he was mentally unstable, putting his career in jeopardy,” the father had said in the FIR, according to Hindustan Times.