The Centre is not ready to give an extra opportunity to the civil services aspirants who had failed to appear in their last attempt in UPSC exams conducted last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the government informed the Supreme Court on Friday (January 22).
Additional Solicitor General SV Raju, appearing on behalf of the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) made the submission before a bench led by Justice Khanwilkar, and comprising Judges BR Gavai and Krishna Murai.
“We are not ready to give one more chance. Give me time to file an affidavit… last night I received instruction that we are not agreeable,” Raju told the bench, which has now posted the plea of a civil services aspirant, Rachna Singh, for hearing on January 25 and asked the Centre to file an affidavit during the period and serve it to the parties.
Related news | SC dismisses petitions seeking postponement of UPSC prelims
Earlier, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta had told the bench that the Centre was considering the issue of granting one more opportunity to those civil services aspirants who could not appear in their last attempt to crack the UPSC exam.
The top court, on September 30 last year, had refused to postpone the UPSC civil services preliminary exam, which was held on October 4, because of COVID-19 pandemic and floods in several parts of the country.
However, it had directed the Centre and the Union Public Service Commission to consider granting an extra chance to candidates who otherwise have their last attempt in 2020, with corresponding extension of the upper age-limit. The bench was then told that a formal decision can be taken by the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) only.
(With inputs from agencies)