India may fall back on a ‘military option’ to deal with transgressions by the Chinese Army in eastern Ladakh, if Army-level and diplomatic parleys fail between the two countries, India’s Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) General Bipin Rawat has said.
According to reports, Rawat has said that transgressions across the Line of Actual Control (LAC) occur when there is a differing perception about its alignment. It is the job of defence personnel to prevent the transgressions from graduating into intrusions through proper surveillance, he said, adding that defence services are ready for military actions in case all efforts to restore status quo along the LAC fail.
“The military option to deal with the transgressions by the Chinese is still on but will be considered only if the talks at the diplomatic and military level fail,” India Today quoted him as saying.
He, however, declined to share plans of the said ‘military option’.
Related news: Troops fought for 17-20 hours with Chinese at Ladakh
Despite multiple military-level talks for disengagement and China’s claim of wanting a resolution to the border conflict, Chinese troops continue to occupy key friction areas in eastern Ladakh and have been reportedly laying unacceptable conditions before the Army. The last military-level talk between the two countries was held last week.
India has made heavy deployment along the LAC to match up to the Chinese show of power just across the border.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh recently met National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and three service chiefs to discuss the situation.
The stand-off between the two armies took an ugly turn on June 15 when 20 soldiers of the Indian Army were killed in a scuffle with Chinese troops at Galwan Valley.
During military-level talks, the Indian Army has been stressing the restoration of status quo ante of April this year to resolve the crisis.