In a letter to the chief secretaries of all states and Union territories, Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba on Friday (March 27) told state governments that more than 15 lakh international travellers came to India over the last two months but there appears to be a gap between the actual monitoring for COVID-19 and the total arrivals.
Pointing out that the gap may prove to be disastrous Gauba said it may seriously jeopardise the efforts to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus in the country.
The statement comes after majority of persons who have tested positive for the virus so far in India were seen to have a history of international travel.
Currently, India is also grappling with the mass exodus of migrant workers returning to their home states after a nationwide lockdown.
In the wake of which the Union Home Ministry on Friday (March 27) asked state governments to prevent the movement.
The death toll due to COVID-19 went up to 17 in the country on Friday and the number of coronavirus cases climbed to 724, according to the health ministry.