Bharat bandh against Agnipath passes off peacefully in Bihar

nobel

Heavy deployment of police remained in place on Monday across Bihar in view of the Bharat bandh against Agnipath scheme of defence recruitment, although the shutdown call received a tepid response in the state.

Additional Director General of Police, Headquarters, J S Gangwar said that “detailed and elaborate security arrangements” were in place at all vital installations, including railway premises, and “no untoward incident took place during the Bharat bandh”.

According to a PHQ statement, altogether 922 people have been arrested in connection with the large-scale violence and arson in a major part of the state last week.

Gangwar said that 183 people were arrested on June 16, the first day of major disturbances and a day later, when the violence escalated, the number went up to 306, which “resulted in a substantial decline in the number of incidents that took place on June 18, even though there was a call for Bihar bandh”.

“June 18 also saw the maximum number of 381 arrests in a day. This resulted in complete order yesterday. We are still in the process of identifying those directly involved in depredation as well as the instigators. None will be spared,” Gangwar told reporters after attending a high-level meeting on law order chaired by DGP S K Singhal.

Shops and offices remained open and bandh supporters were prevented by police personnel from enforcing the shutdown.

Demonstrations were staged by student bodies at various places in protest against the new scheme of recruitment for four years followed by retirement, without pension, for 75 per cent of the candidates.

None of these protests, however, turned violent.

Running of long-distance trains through the East Central Railway zone, which covers much of the state, remained suspended from 4 AM to 8 PM for the third consecutive day as “a precautionary measure”.

According to an ECR statement, these restrictions had resulted in cancellation of 348 trains on Monday besides short-termination of three while 12 others were run through diverted routes.

“In view of improvement in law and order in Bihar, these restrictions will be done away with from Tuesday. We are drawing the schedule accordingly,” ECR Chief Public Relations Officer Virendra Kumar told


(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by The Federal staff and is auto-published from a syndicated feed.)

CATCH US ON: