BJP candidate Pragya Thakur seems to be in a soup again with an election officer ordering a first information report against her for reportedly saying that ‘she was proud to be part of the Babri mosque demolition.’
Pragya Thakur, the BJP candidate for Bhopal, had stated this in an interview to a television channel. She said she was among those who demolished the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya on December 6, 1992.
“We had removed a blot from the country. We had gone to demolish the structure. I climbed atop the structure and broke it and I feel extremely proud that God gave me this opportunity. We will make sure that a Ram Temple is built at that site,” Pragya Thakur said during the interview.
A notice had been served to her for ‘creating mutual hatred or causing tension between different communities,’ NDTV reported. She but stuck to her utterances and said she ‘stood by what she said.’ “Yes, I had gone there, I had said it yesterday too, not denying it. I had demolished the structure. I will go there and help in the construction of the Ram temple, nobody can stop us from doing that,” she said.
On Sunday, she was reportedly told by her party to ‘avoid provocative statements,’ sources said today.
Pragya Thakur is one of the main accused in the 2008 Malegaon blasts in which six people were killed and over 100 injured. She was recently in trouble following her statement that slain Maharashtra Ant-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare, who investigated the Malegaon case, died of her curse. She rescinded the statement following a backlash. The party too had distanced from the statement saying that it could be ‘her personal experiences that prompted her to say so.’