White House shooter
x

Police tape is seen as Secret Service and police block streets around the White House, Saturday, May 23, 2026, in Washington. Photo: AP/PTI

White House shooter, arrested earlier in 2025, believed he was Jesus Christ

Suspect identified as Nasire Best, a 21-year-old with history of psychiatric delusions and security breaches; killed by Secret Service agents


Click the Play button to hear this message in audio format

The suspect who was killed in a shooting outside a Secret Service checkpoint near the White House on Saturday evening (May 23) has been identified by law enforcement as Nasire Best, a 21-year-old resident of Maryland with a well-documented history of mental illness and prior security breaches at the complex.

Back in July 10, 2025, when he was arrested for bypassing a restricted White House pedestrian control post by walking through an exit turnstile lane, Best had said that he believed he was the modern-day incarnation of Jesus Christ, according to media reports.

Firing incident

The incident unfolded at approximately 6pm, near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW. According to reports, Best spent time pacing the perimeter before approaching a Secret Service security post. He then pulled a handgun from his bag and fired three shots at stationed officers.

Also read: Gunfire near White House: Suspect killed after opening fire, bystander injured

Secret Service agents immediately returned fire, fatally wounding Best, who later died en route to the hospital. Local news anchor Chris Flanagan reported that roughly 30 total shots were fired during the chaotic exchange.

A bystander was also injured during the crossfire. Law enforcement officials noted that it remains unclear whether the individual was struck by Best’s initial rounds or by subsequent gunfire from responding officers.

Trump 'not impacted'

President Donald Trump was inside the executive mansion at the time of the shooting but was unaffected. Following the gunfire, the White House complex was immediately locked down.

White House staff and journalists were rushed into secure areas, including the press briefing room, while media personnel in nearby press tents were captured on video ducking for cover. ABC News correspondent Selina Wang described hearing "dozens of gunshots" from a media tent during the panic.

Mentally troubled

Records indicated that Best was allegedly mentally troubled and was known to federal security officials having had a history of loitering near entry posts and was in active violation of a court order barring him from White House grounds.

In June 2025, Best was involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility after blocking traffic on 15th Street. Two weeks later, on July 10, 2025, he was arrested for slipping through an exit turnstile at a restricted White House pedestrian post. During that arrest, Best reportedly told agents he "wanted" to be detained and claimed he was the modern-day incarnation of Jesus Christ.

String of shooting incidents

The Metropolitan Police Department quickly cordoned off the area with crime scene tape and urged the public via X to avoid the vicinity.

This shooting marks the latest in a string of high-profile Washington security incidents, coming just one month after an alleged assassination attempt against President Trump at the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner.

Next Story